Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Week 28 - Act in your Professional Environment

Week 28 - Act in your Professional Environment
18 February 2019


I have decided to use the questions as suggested in the Connecticut Teachers' Education and Mentoring Program to guide my reflection this week.
  1. “What possible issues/concerns might this scenario raise?  Considering whether the progress that I was hoping to see due to my initiative of flipped learning to boost achievement through increased engagement and metacognition, was actually due to flipped learning, or other factors altogether or a combination of factors. Ethically, I might be challenged to not 'pollute' their writing grades (which can be very subjective at the best of times).  I also have to be careful to not discriminate against those who have not prepared for the lesson due to not having access to devices.
  2. How could this situation become a violation of the law, the “Code” or other school policies?  As teachers and professionals, we are bound to be honest and to act in the best interest of all of our students.  According to 'Our Code, our Standards', such behaviour would be in breach of "WHAKAMANA: empowering all learners to reach their highest potential by providing high-quality teaching and leadership" as well as "PONO: showing integrity by acting in ways that are fair, honest, ethical and just." If there is any danger of me polluting grades to reflect the outcome I am hoping for from my initiative, I will not be setting a good example to my students or acting with integrity.  Because we as teachers operate from a point in society as being highly trustworthy and beyond reproach in terms of our ethical responsibility because we work with young, impressionable people who require unbiased guidance, trust is automatically assumed.  To take advantage of that trust and manipulate evidence to suit my needs while misleading students in terms of their actual ability and academic success, is wrong.
  3. In this situation, what are some potentially negative consequences for the teacher, for the students and the school community?  Some negative consequences that could come from such unethical behaviour for the teacher are:  the teacher will have a skewed view of the evidence linked to her practice.  She might be inclined to continue using the strategy under the false impression of it being directly responsible for good results all around.  It could also result in the teacher being inclined to consider such unethical marking next time (she has become desensitized).  This could have serious repercussions for the teacher when it comes to the moderation of her students' work against other teachers' (internal and external).  For the students: They too are left with a false sense of success which could lead to all sorts of dangers.  In some students who feel that their work might not reflect the grade, they could lose faith and respect for their teacher and might stop working with her.  It could lead other students to become complacent -I didn't try that hard and I did well so next time I won't have to try hard either.  They could develop a bad work ethic.  The community:  especially in such an initiative that relied heavily on the support and buy-in of the whanau and community, if they feel like they have been cheated or taken for fools, relationships and good faith will disappear and will be replaced with distrust and disconnect.  Such a lack of support from possibly our greatest stakeholders could be the most detrimental effect as their attitude will be represented by their children in the classroom and the teacher could be faced with a potential deficit classroom.
  4. What responses/actions will result in a more positive outcome and/or what proactive measures might be considered?“ (p.5)  To ensure that this does not happen I have to be honest about all the variables that could impact my investigation.  I must consider that because I am so invested in this initiative, perhaps I am planning my lessons more deliberately and with greater passion and awareness, applying a growth mindset to my lessons and practice.  In the past I would have been very fixed in what I have done, being inclined to repeat units and strategies if they have 'worked', irrespective of the boys in front of me.  Therefore not being very culturally appropriate of responsive.  This injection of passion and variety alone could be the result of improved grades, greater student engagement, and metacognitive thinking.  An interesting discussion on G+ on a growth mindset suggested that if we as teachers have a growth mindset, our students will also be braver and more open to trying new things.  I need to also be aware that the rubric I would use for my pre and post-test after the implementation of flipped videos is not the same criteria as their actual assessment, therefore, not comparing apples with apples.  This can be avoided.  I could collaborate with a buddy marker who could moderate my work to ensure that I was not inflating results because I so desperately wanted my initiative and hard work to be worthwhile.
All great things to think about and reflect on!  And to be careful not to do!

References:
Connecticut’s Teacher Education and Mentoring Program. (2015). Ethical and Professional Dilemmas for Educators: Facilitator’s Guide: Understanding the Code of Professional Responsibility for Educators. Connecticut, US: Author. Retrieved from http://portal.ct.gov/-/media/SDE/TEAM/Module_5_Supplemental_Scenarios-Facilitator_Guide_January_2015.pdf?la=en

Education Council. (2017b). Application of the Code. Retrieved from: https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards





No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 32 - Reflect on Your Learning Journey

Week 32 - Reflect on Your Learning Journey 9 March 2019 Problem identification What drives you to make the change?  I am driven to mak...